Thursday, June 10, 2010

Summer dishes on the horizon

Find a balance between eating food that's good for you most of the time and food you love a little bit of the time. Win-win when you find food you love that is good for you. I'm picking and choosing from the list below over the next month, with an emphasis on lots of lightly steamed or raw vegetables with every lunch and dinner, and small portions of desserts.

Doris Day's popovers - normally, I would slather them with butter and jam or honey, but now I`ll have them with fruit salad and plain yogurt...and leave the slathering to the kids. From Delicious Days.

And the healthier breakfast choice - Multigrain Waffles from 101 Cookbooks

Dips, dips and more dips - get your veggies in with this selection from Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn.

Carrot Salad with Harissa, Feta and Mint from the Smitten Kitchen is a nice match for flank steak. I love flank steak. I really do. Here's Mark Bittman's recipe. :-) I love Mark Bittman. Did I say that I love Mark Bittman? I really do. It's ok - my husband loves him, too. And flank steak.

I`m getting my omega 3`s from Cooking with Amy`s Slow Roasted Salmon. I don`t think you have to use Copper River salmon. :-)

Lentil Artichoke Stew; Cucumber, Mango and Spinach salad; and Green Goodie Smoothy - three cancer fighting recipes from dieticians with the Cancer Project.

Sour Cherry Slab Pie from the Smitten Kitchen, last year.

Looking for something to do with all this year`s great rhubarb? Rhubarb Tart with Lemon Verbena at Chocolate and Zucchini, Rustic Rhubarb Tarts at the Smitten Kitchen and Roasted Rhubarb from Orangette look great (and if you need a giggle listen to Orangette's Molly Wizenberg's Spilled Milk podcast on the lovely fruit...uh...vegetable...uh plant.)

Olive Oil Cake, because I'm dying to try this Kim Boyce whole grain flour cookbook. From the Wednesday Chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment