Friday, June 4, 2010

Life saving tip of the day

Walk! Take a trip around the block and then keep going. Studies (like this, this and this) show that exercise can vastly improve breast cancer survival rates. And, like with green tea, studies (like this one) have found a link between exercise and lower rates of depression. Do what I do - grab your mp3 player and get going. I listen to podcasts but music may be your thing. A pedometer (my iPod has one built in) will track your steps and give you that much more motivation. Yesterday, I cranked out close to 10,000 steps listening to Terry Gross's interview with The Daily Show's Samantha Bee - painless! And don't wait for a sunny day - some of my best walks here on the rainy west coast of Canada have been on pretty drizzly days. Greet the people you meet on your walk with a smile and, most of the time, you will be rewarded with one in return. Win win. Win. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment