Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday's health links

This morning, I had my port-a-cath removed. Many thanks to the lovely nurses and surgeon at Richmond Hospital. One more line has been cast-off as I ease back to the middle of the river.

Back to today's health links...
  1. New options in breast reconstruction. By the way, I don't have a clue what I am going to do. Does anyone who has already gone through it have any advice? Let me know - I'd love to start a dialogue about it here.
  2. Add this to the "You have to be frickin' kidding me" column - tumours grow their own blood supply. Apparently, the big bugger who had taken up residence in my left boob was playing twister with my blood vessels. My surgeon gasped (yes, gasped) when he saw it. Back to school for you, Buddy. Never gasp in front of the patient.
  3. Gentlemen...how to lower your risk for prostate cancer. Not sure what role genetics plays, but my dad and my father-in-law both had prostate cancer* and now we have to protect their sons and grandsons from it. [*Great Uncle Carl had it too - but, Carl,  I'm pretty sure a shared love of gross toys isn't enough of a connection to raise their risk. :-) ]
  4. Mo...vember - how successful will this campaign be? And are they doing any better job at raising awareness of prevention or is it still focused on early detection?
  5. Purple sweet potato pie? Kansas State University comes up with a cancer-fighting pie. I may cry. Don't worry - they're happy tears.
  6. Nova Scotia is proposing legislation that would prevent people under 19 from using tanning beds.
  7. Canada's Food Guide recommends we eat two servings of fish a week. A seafood-rich diet has been linked to improvement of heart, brain and vision health and reduced risk of cancer and stroke. Yes, please, I want all of that. This may seem obvious to you, but I was happy to be reminded that canned fish and seafood represent an easy way to meet this challenge. Cloverleaf, one of Canada's main canned seafood companies is doing the reminding and providing some quick recipes. In addition to the traditional canned fish offerings, such as wild salmon and water-packed tuna, Cloverleaf also offers tuna pre-flavoured with a variety of chilies, herbs and other ingredients. I cannot speak to what they taste like, but I may be tempted to try some of those products with a few of these recipes, like 5-Minute Tuna Chili, Spicy Thai Chili Tuna with Noodles, and Mild Curry Coconut Soup. Also, I don't think I'll wait until next summer to make Salmon Cucumber Couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment